After the industrial revolution of the late 18th century,there has been countless growth in technology, tools, and the manufacturing process. Based on new development in manufacturing technologies, design implementation plays an important role for simplifying the manufacturing process and making products with less of a manufacturing cost.
What is design for manufacturing (DFM)?
Design for manufacturing is the combination of two major sources of product implementation, design and the production process. In which both the design of a product should be simple and easy while in manufacturing, production cost should be less with a better quality product.
The design for manufacturing process (DFM).
Better design for manufacturing results in a quality product and less rejection rate.
Fundamental step for design for manufacturing (DFM)
Before a product goes into manufacturing there is some fundamental procedure we must consider for economical production.
Manufacturing Process: Choosing the manufacturing process is the 1st step before production. To choose you should be considering product material, end goal,product complexity. The process should be simple, less time consuming, cost effective and better-quality production.
Design: Design based on the selected manufacturing method. Design should be simple to manufacture.For example, if you select a molding operation for your product you must consider sinking factor, material, time and many more factors. If you select CNC, you must consider tooling path clearance, material scrap and time. If selected advance manufacturing method 3D printing, you must consider parameters for 3D printing. So overall conclusion is when you design any product you must consider which manufacturing method you will using for manufacturing the product t and product should be based on that.
Material: Material selection is also challenging. When to select material, you have to consider the manufacturing process, nature of use and material properties like mechanical properties,thermal properties, hazardous and electrical properties.
Nature of use: Product design is also important,where this part will be used and how it will operate. For example, if your part will be used at high temperature than you must consider thermal, mechanical,and hazardous properties.
Evaluate: before going to market or in between production stage evaluating the product is important. It will increase lead time in production, but it will decrease rework, rejection rate and increase product quality.
Design for manufacturing should be considered at an early stage of the design process. Considering all the team’s expertise in their field(manufacturing, metallurgy, and other teams) will create efficient and successful DFM process. It will reduce the time and cost for the product without effecting on quality of product.Following are the guidelines for effective Design for Manufacturing (DFM).
1. Standard Part: Using a standard part reduce time for manufacturing custom part. Also saving cost if you buy in bulk. Standard part is widely available to buy.
2. Design for easy production: Easy design will save you cost in the manufacturing process and reduce rejection and scrap rate.
3. Reduce component : If you your design has less components then your product cost will be less.
4. Interchangeable assembly : The use of modules in design simplifies the manufacturing process such as rework, redesign, inspection, testing and assembly.One reason is that modular assemblies in your design allow you to modify the product without losing its overall functionality.
5. Tolerances: unnecessarily tight tolerance will have an effect on manufacturing process and cost. A tighter tolerance increases the price of product because it requires a more precise tool, and more inspection. Tolerance should be base on material, nature of the product and the manufacturing process.
6. Shape of Part: Part shape should be design and manufacture in way that it will ship easily.
Design for Manufacturing is an integral part of product manufacturing. The better the DFM the greater the cost of production.
Designfusion is the largest dedicated solution provider of Siemens PLM software in North America. With an expert support team and a decade of history in the industry designfusion is the #1 choice for companies looking to best enhance their software acquisition.
60 Scarsdale Rd, Unit 119
Toronto, Ontario, M3B 2R7
1919, Boulevard Lionel-Bertrand
Suite 101, Boisbriand, QC
J7H 1N8, Canada