In the last few blog articles I have highlighted a couple of enhancements coming in Solid Edge ST6. Having just returned from Solid Edge University 2013 (SEU2013), where customers were introduced to Solid Edge ST6, I thought I should try and list some of the more than 1300 enhancements. Clearly, with over 1300 enhancements, it would be a major job to list and discuss all the changes, so I will only highlight some of the major improvements.
Before looking at some of the new features in Solid Edge ST6, I think it’s worth mentioning that in Q2, Solid Edge license business in the US has seen a 25% year over year growth. Combine this with the growing number of packages that work with Solid Edge; it is clear the Siemens is fully committed to the continued growth and success of Solid Edge.
Some of the new partners introduced at SEU 2013 include CAMWorks for Solid Edge, KeyShot and CRABCAD, just to name a few. I found the CAMWorks for Solid Edge to be the most intriguing new partner. It allows for machining of your Solid Edge model directly in the Solid Edge package. I will discuss this in future blog articles once I have been fully trained on this new package.
It was also clear, to the over 500 users that attended SEU2013, that Siemens is listening to their customers. As I mentioned earlier, Solid Edge ST6 satisfies over 1300 customer requests. This is the breakdown as presented to us at SEU2013:
So what did I find to be the most intriguing new features? First, I really like the new ability to install multiple versions on the same computer (see earlier blog article on how to set this up). Although this is for test purposes only, it will go a long way to allowing smoother upgrades, especially for smaller companies. Solid Edge ST6 also adds some new user experience tools, such as:
New user persona environments - to customize the user environment based on his level of expertise with the software.
YouTube in Solid Edge - The YouTube search and upload feature within Solid Edge ST6 allows you to upload pre-recorded videos, or record your own video within the UI and upload it directly through the Solid Edge application.
Record Videos in Solid Edge - Solid Edge ST6 provides the ability to record design workflows within the application.
Command Finder Updates - Enhancements have been made to the Command Finder to provide the user with additional information for searched items that are not considered Solid Edge commands.
Android Tablet Viewer - Solid Edge now has an App available to view part, sheet metal, and assembly files on an android powered tablet. Similar to the iPad App introduced in ST5.
Combine these new tools with enhanced learning tools and the expanded Solid Edge community, and you will find the overall user experience is greatly improved.
ST6 Surface Modeling
Some major improvements in Part modeling also impressed me and many of the other users at SEU2013. My favorite enhancements include the following:
Major overhaul of the Surfacing environment
- · New easy-to-use 3D surface control handles for on screen edits of curvature with graphical magnitude handles and numeric values.
- · Key-point curves now with C2 support.
- · Robust bounded surfaces also with C2 support.
- · Blue surface command now has C2 handles and optional curvature combs.
- · Trim and extend is now a single super command.
- · Ruled Surface command added - allows the user to pick a curve and
- generate a sweep of linear cross section along a curve or edge.
- · Redefine Surface command added - that allows a surface or group of adjacent surfaces to be replaced with a single editable BlueSurf.
- · Model Reflective Display - a new display mode has been introduced specifically designed for studying curvature and volumes of surface models of symmetric parts.
- · Plus so much more to allow users to model highly aesthetic consumer products.
There are many more improvements to mention, and I will continue to do so in next week’s blog.