Some of you may be asking “What happen to Solid Edge ST11?”. Siemens PLM has decided to adopt the year format, thus making the next release Solid Edge 2019. Products in the Solid Edge portfolio will also adopt this year format name change. For example, “Solid Edge Illustrations” will be named “Solid Edge Illustrations 2019”. This name change helps associate each Solid Edge release with a year as well as provide naming consistency across our portfolio of products.Longtime users will also notice other subtle changes such as:
•Install location example:
C:\Program Files\Siemens\Solid Edge 2019
•AppData location example :
C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Siemens\Solid Edge\Version 219
•Registry example :
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Siemens\Solid Edge\Version 219
The Splash screens have been updated to reflect the year-based naming.The primary license name has been added to splash screens.
The focus for Solid Edge 2019 seems to be the Solid Edge Portfolio. Siemens continues to expand their presence in the mainstream engineering market by adding additional affordable add-ons to compliment the powerful Solid Edge design package. This time out, they’ve added the following new packages:
Solid Edge Electrical – A best-in-class electrical package that includes:
- Harness Design - Rapid and intuitive harness and formboard design tools with automated part selection, design verification, and manufacturing report generation allows engineers to quickly and confidently bring products to market.
- Wiring Design - Wiring design and simulation tools for the rapid creation and verification of electrical systems allows design teams to overcome electro-mechanical design challenges earlier in the design cycle.
- Electrical Routing - Efficiently create, route and organize wires, cables, and bundles using Solid Edge Electrical Routing. Links to Solid Edge
Wiring and Harness Design tools, allows electro-mechanical design teams to create complete and accurate digital mockups, containing both mechanical
and electrical components, removing the need for expensive physical prototypes.
- PCB Design - Schematic capture and PCB layout tools, including sketch routing, hierarchical 2D/3D planning and placement, and ECAD/MCAD collaboration, simplifies the complex task of printed circuit board design.
This looks to be one of the highlights of this new release. This is a standalone package from Mentor (A Siemens Company), which can be connected to Solid Edge, allowing data exchange directly between Solid Edge and Solid Edge Electrical. Solid Edge & Solid Edge Electrical can be configured to work on either the same machine or a remote machine.
Solid Edge data management – Siemens PLM has enhanced what they previously called Solid Edge built-in Data Management and renamed it to Solid Edge data management. This provides a set of tools to help manage Solid Edge data with no additional purchases or installation. Although this data management requires no additional purchases or installation, it does require some setup. Companies that set this up should know that it is scalable to Teamcenter if their needs require this in the future.
Solid Edge Requirements Management – This is a portfolio offering for customers that cannot use Teamcenter, for whatever reason, but need requirement traceability. This is powered by Polarion, – a subset of SIEMENS-owned Polarion ALM (Application Lifecycle Management). This will allow customers to meet compliance mandates in aerospace, medical devices and other regulated industries. This does require an additional purchase, installation, and setup.
Solid Edge Portal – Free cloud-based collaboration. The Solid Edge Portal offers online CAD management, viewing, and collaboration—for free. With browser-based access for viewing and markup of CAD files, on any device, you can work in real time, from anywhere. Experience secure, controlled sharing of project documents and CAD files.
Solid Edge CAM Pro - A comprehensive, highly flexible system that uses the latest machining technology to efficiently program your CNC machine tools, from simple NC programming to high-speed and multi-axis machining. Associative toolpaths for parts and assemblies speed design changes and updates. Solid Edge CAM Pro is powered by NX, and replaces the NX Cam Express, but maintains all its functionality, and more.
Sticking with improving the Solid Edge Portfolio, Siemens has enhanced some of the following packages:
Solid Edge Modular Plant Design – New capabilities have been added.
- Solid Edge P&ID Design – 2D flow diagram and symbol support for P&ID creation supporting strict governing requirements for plant design.
- Solid Edge Piping Design – Automated 3D piping design with comprehensive 3D part libraries and fully automated isometric drawing output for plant design
Solid Edge Technical Publications – Introduced in ST10, several enhancements have been added to help users quickly and effectively create technical documentation from their existing Solid Edge models and designs.
Solid Edge Simulation - Solid Edge offers enhanced structural and thermal simulation, including transient heat transfer. Time-based history analysis enables simulation of thermal and cooling performance.
Solid Edge Flow Simulation - Free surface flow simulation, lighting and radiation capabilities have been added to allow digital “what if” analysis.
Enhancements have also been made to the Solid Edge Generative Design package and the Solid Edge Reverse Engineering package, to make them easier to use and more effective.
Not to be overshadowed by the portfolio packages, Solid Edge 2019 has delivered some nice enhancements that the customer base has requested. Here are my top 5 favorite enhancements:
- 1.Auto-Simplify command - Auto-Simplify in conjunction with various commands in assembly Simplification including Enclosure, can now be used to quickly simplify multiple assembly occurrences to create an approximate simplified assembly representation.
This is the closest I’ve seen them come to a shrink wrap command, that so many customers have been requesting.
- 2.Create Design Bodies command - A new “Intersect” option
that will ease the reverse engineering process where we need to convert
mesh bodies to solid bodies. However, the cool thing about this command is that it can be used for finding out volumes of tanks and enclosed volumes with complicated shapes.
- 3.Design for Cost – A new pane in Solid Edge allowing users to estimate cost of sheet metal parts. Costs are based on material and manufacturing operations.
- 4.Break axis for broken view – Finally we can create a broken view on and angled view. This has been a long-requested ER.
- 5.Multi-Slot Feature – Added the ability to place multiple slot occurrences of the same parameters at the same time.
Once again, Siemens delivers some great new technology while fulfilling many customer requests. I’ve just touched on the highlights in this blog. If you want more information, Siemens has created the following site to highlight and demonstrate Solid Edge 2019:
Note: At the time of this article, no date for availability of Solid Edge 2019 had been released. But if previous releases are any indication, it should be available sometime in July.